The beginnings of this village go back to the time when the tribe of the Alemanen
settled in this area, as is proofed by the ending -ingen of its name. Gomaringen
is mentioned for the first time in the 11th century in the chronicle of Berthold
of Zwiefalten. After the extinction of the counts of Achalm in 1191, members
of the local gentry, which took the name after the village Gomaringen, are
first mentioned. They were Friedericus and Hugo de Gomaringen who were in the
service of the Markgraf of Tübingen.
A fort with glacis, the present day castle and other rights and properties
belonged to the Lords of Gomaringen. The Gomaringen coat of arms has the eagle
on a red background. Stockach, which now belongs to Gomaringen, once belonged
to the Lords of Gomaringen.
of the historical path
From the 13th through the 15th century the rulers of Gomaringen frequently
appear as spiritual rulers.
The most significant representatives were Werner and Peter of Gomaringen who
were both abbots of Bebenhausen, the local monastery of the Markgrafs of Tübingen.
The economical decline of the family began shortly after the middle of the
14th century caused by frequent division through inheritance and in addition
the preference for spiritual power and its associated gifts, particularly to
the monastery of Bebenhausen. In the second half of the 15th century, after
various changes of ownership, the whole previous Gomaringen property with all
its rights and liegemen was transformed to the then prosperous hospital of
the imperial town of Reutlingen.
For 150 years bailiffs ran the affairs of the imperial city in the castle.
After the 30 Years War, whose hoorors also affected Gomaringen, Reutlingen,
deeply in debt, sold in December 1648 “Gomaringen as its most noble village
and castle” for 30.000 guildes to Count Eberhard III of Württemberg.
Until 1807 Gomaringen remained directly answerable to the Prince and was administered
by bailiffs of the castle. After that it was incorporated into the district
o Reutlingen until 1973. The official description of 1824 reports that Gomaringen
was “the poorest parish with the most children”.
So it is not surprising that from the end of the 18th century till the end
of the 19th century 821 people emigrated especially to the USA.